Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Read My Thoughts - THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO

I picked up this book because an agent who read the first draft of my manuscript said that there was a definite camaraderie between my work and Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy, the first book of which is The Knife of Never Letting Go.

So first things first, nicest compliment ever. If there's any resonance between our writing styles, nothing makes me happier.

As far as my usual plundering goes, however, I think I have to pass on stealing anything from this book. In part because there's already so much crossover. Not least of which is the similarity between Todd's home, Prentisstown, and Avie's, Perontess. But also the dogged secrets that follow the protags around like an undetonated bomb waiting to go off.

So instead, I'll just leave this book with my highest praise. The language, the Noise, the very play with typography itself was so unique and compelling, it just felt like something new and different.

Here's to hoping I follow in Ness's footsteps!